Growing old doesn’t have to mean losing your keen mind or your dignity. You can, in fact, take proactive steps to keep your brain young and alert by adding anti-aging foods to your healthy eating plan.
Probably everyone has heard the adage, “You are what you eat.” If you eat unhealthy food for the majority of your life, you will unfortunately become unhealthy in later years. On the other hand, if you eat well by choosing healthy foods now, you gain a better chance of maintaining your physical and mental health later.
It’s not about following the latest fad diet. Eating well and incorporating anti-aging foods to keep your brain young and healthy involves a commitment to a lifestyle change in which you regularly choose nutritious foods that may require a little extra preparation time, rather than quick, fattening foods.
If you want to ward off dementia and other cognitive deficiencies some consider a “normal” part of aging, try adding some of these anti-aging foods to your daily eating plan:
- Colorful Fruits: Think berries, like blueberries and strawberries, with their antioxidants to help ward off neuron damage.
- Colorful vegetables: Alternate any of these into your healthy eating plan for their anti-inflammatory, pro-circulation benefits: leafy green lettuce varieties, carrots, bell peppers, celery, beets, cabbage, radishes, and asparagus.
- Olive oil and olive products: Use in moderation for their antioxidants, as well as the “healthy” fat known as MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid).
- Chocolate: Yes, you can – eat dark chocolate in moderation; it also contains MUFAs, along with flavanols to promote healthy blood circulation, lowering the risk of dementia.
- Nuts: Get a little nutty, and enjoy some almonds, cashews, pecans, or other nuts in moderation; again, they contain MUFAs and antioxidants.
- Wine: A little red wine to round out your meal adds the value of resveratrol, a substance that slows cellular aging. As with most things. Moderation is key.
So live a little longer, and keep your brain young, by adding some of these delicious and nutritious anti-aging foods to your eating plan.