No one likes the idea of getting older. We especially don’t want to age any faster than we have to or look older than we actually are. Many of us seek out anti aging secrets to hold on to our youth and stave off the signs of old age for as long as possible.
But the most important anti aging secret is to understand what causes aging in the first place.
5 Things That Cause Aging
- Hormonal decline: Aging is specifically affected by levels of Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA, Cortisol, Insulin, and Growth Hormone. These hormones control brain function, bone and heart health, mood, energy, weight, digestion, strength and endurance, and sexual function.
- Excess Free Radicals: Also known as Oxidative damage, an excess of free radicals means that there are unstable molecules in the body that are damaging other healthy molecules by stealing energy from them.
- Excessive Inflammation: Inflammation is the body’s natural defense against infection and potentially harmful foreign molecules. An excess of inflammation increases the amount of free radicals in the body. Inflammation has been linked to almost every major degenerative disease.
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction: Mitochondria are the energy factories in each cell. If they die, the entire cell dies.
- Stress: Psychological as well as physical stressors are known to cause aging by increasing the amount of free radicals and inflammation in the body.
When looking for anti aging secrets or meeting with anti aging specialists, be aware of which, if any, of the causes of aging are being addressed.
Is there such a thing as an anti aging secret?
Sort of. Once you understand what causes aging, there are actually several “anti aging secrets” that can help slow down or reverse the aging process.
4 Ways to Slow Down Aging
- Hormonal Balance: An anti-aging physician will measure your Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA, Cortisol, Insulin, and Growth Hormone levels and work with you to correct any imbalance.
- Diet and Nutrition: Changing your diet can have a dramatic impact on anti aging efforts. Learn to reduce bad fats, increase good fats, and balance lean proteins with low carb vegetables.
- Stress Reduction: Reducing your stress levels with active relaxation can reduce the inflammation and free radicals that are affecting the rate at which you’re aging. You may also consider talking to a professional counselor to deal with any serious emotional issues.
- Reduce Free Radicals and Inflammation: Avoid toxins in your food and environment, drink plenty of water and get sufficient rest. Also consider vitamin supplements and regular exercise.
You can learn to implement most of these anti aging secrets on your own. A healthy diet and proper stress management can dramatically reduce the amount of free radicals and inflammation. If you suspect a hormone imbalance may be playing a role, seek out a board certified anti aging physician for further testing.