A diet high in salt and fat can not only cause you to gain weight, but it may make you look heavier than you are. Salty and fatty foods can lead to uncomfortable bloating in the belly. Reach for these foods instead to keep your stomach flat.
Foods That Fight The Bloat
- Watermelon and Oranges – fruits and vegetables that have a high water content help flush excess waste and water from your system, which reduces bloating. Watermelon is 92% water and oranges are 80-90% water.
- Pineapples – another fruit that’s good for your belly, pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme that aids digestion of other foods.
- Yogurt – an active bacteria in this dairy product is actually good for your digestive tract and can help reduce gas over time.
- Garlic – eating garlic can prevent a fatty liver, which allows it to be more effective at producing digestive juices needed to prevent bloating.
- Bran Cereal – constipation is a common cause of bloating, and the fiber packed in bran cereal encourages proper (and speedy) digestion.
- Spinach – green leafy vegetables, like spinach and kale, are a great source of fiber and minerals that encourage proper digestion and fight urinary tract infections.
- Cucumbers – these vegetables stimulate the kidneys and encourage urination, which helps flush excess toxins from your body.
Eating these foods regularly can help you avoid bloating.