Sugar snap peas, which are the sweetest and most tender variety of peas, are a great choice as a snack or part of a meal. Find out more about the benefits of sugar snap peas.
5 Reasons to Eat Sugar Snap Peas
- Sugar snap peas have a high fiber content, which can help keep your digestive system functioning properly. They’re an especially good source of soluble fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels so that you can maintain a healthy weight.
- Sugar snap peas are low in calories. One cup contains just 67 calories!
- Sugar snap peas are good for your heart. These peas are fat free and contain folate, which helps lower amino acid levels in the body. Too much amino acid can cause heart attacks and heart disease. The higher fiber content of sugar snap peas also makes it a great food for lowering your cholesterol, which can reduce your risk for heart attack.
- Sugar snap peas can boost your immune system. These peas contain vitamin C and caretenoid. Vitamin C helps prevent colds and flu, while carotenoids can reduce your risk of cataracts and help prevent some types of cancer.
- Sugar snap peas are good for your bones. In addition to improving heart health, preventing disease, and helping you manage your weight, sugar snap peas can also help you build strong bones. They contain vitamin K and iron, which can also help combat anemia.