Inflammation and free radicals are two of the biggest causes for aging. Free radicals are unstable molecules that damage other molecules in the body by stealing their electrons. Inflammation is the body’s natural defense against infection, but an excess of inflammation can lead to more free radicals. An excessive amount of free radicals will cause more inflammation, leading to a vicious cycle and rapidly increased aging.
How can you break the cycle?
In order to achieve anti aging effects, you need to reduce both the inflammation and the amount of free radicals in your body.
How To Control Free Radicals and Inflammation
- Reduce the harmful toxins in your environment. This means avoiding alcohol, tobacco smoke, air pollution, and heavy metals found in plastic storage containers, certain cleaning products, pesticides, and contaminated fish.
- Avoid excessive exposure to ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation can’t be completely eliminated, but you should be aware of where it comes from. Sources for ionizing radiation include sun exposure, x-rays, radon, hair dryers, cell phones, airplanes, electric blankets and waterbed heaters.
- Reduce sugar and refined carbohydrates. Refined carbohydrates are what you’ll find in white flours, breads and pastas. Choose whole grains whenever possible.
- Get plenty of rest. Ideally, you should get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Lack of exercise increases the production of free radicals.
- Drink plenty of water. The recommended daily amount of water is half of your body weight in pounds, measured in ounces. (For example, if I weight 120 pounds, I should be drinking 60 ounces of water per day.)
- Get checked for food allergies, chronic infection and heavy metals. You may have underlying health issues that you’re not aware of. In most cases, a simple blood test can alert you to any potential issues.
An anti aging specialist can help you examine your environment and diet, as well as check your hormone levels to help you figure out the best anti aging plan for you.